Vaping has become a popular way for people to get their nicotine fix, but with that newfound popularity comes danger. While serious accidents due to exploding vaporizers are relatively rare, they can and do happen when the wrong device is being used or if it’s not handled correctly. To ensure your safety and prevent your vape from becoming an explosive liability, you need to stay informed about how explosions work and what you can do to lessen the risk.
First, you should get familiar with the common causes of vape explosions.
Additionally, using a device with too many cells — or a device that isn’t rated for your particular batteries — can put you at risk of an overheating battery and eventually an explosion.
In this blog post, we will examine why vapes explode, potential warning signs of a pending explosion, and best practices for using vaporizers safely.
Table of Contents
Can Vapes Explode?
Yes, it is possible for vapes to explode. This is due to either battery failure or using an inappropriate charger for the device. When a vape explodes, it can cause serious injury by projecting sharp and hot objects in every direction. Additionally, vape explosions can cause fires that can spread quickly and become dangerous situations.
Vape explosions are not very common, but they are not negligible either.
According to a report by the U.S. Fire Administration, there were 195 incidents of vape explosions or fires reported in the U.S. between January 2009 and December 2016, resulting in 133 injuries and 38 severe injuries. Of these incidents, 128 (66%) occurred while the device or battery was in a pocket, 48 (25%) occurred while the device was in use, and 18 (9%) occurred while the device was being charged.
Another report by the FDA Center for Tobacco Products found that 77.3% of burns caused by vaping accidents were to the upper leg and lower trunk, the location of the hip pocket. A more recent case of a vape explosion occurred in May 2018, when a man in Florida died after his vape pen exploded and sent fragments into his skull.
Vape explosions are usually caused by the overheating of the internal lithium-ion batteries that power the device. Lithium-ion batteries are also used in many personal electronics, such as smartphones, laptops, and electric toothbrushes, and they can explode if they are damaged, defective, overcharged, short-circuited, exposed to high temperatures, or modified .
Vaping devices are especially prone to these factors because they are often carried in pockets, purses, or bags, where they can come into contact with metal objects, such as coins, keys, or other batteries, that can cause a short circuit. They are also often charged with incompatible chargers, cables, or adapters, that can deliver too much current or voltage to the battery.
Some vapers also modify their devices or batteries to increase the power output, which can compromise the safety features and increase the risk of overheating. Additionally, some vaping devices have poor design, quality, or insulation, which can make them more likely to malfunction or catch fire.
What Causes Vaping Explosions And Fires:
Loose Batteries Carried In Pockets Or Purses
To avoid this risk, it is crucial to store batteries correctly. Batteries should always be stored in a case designed specifically for them, which will protect them from damage and prevent them from coming into contact with metal objects. If you must carry batteries with you, ensure they are stored in a secure, non-conductive container .
Mislabeled Batteries And Low-Resistance Coils
Another common cause of vaping explosions and fires is the use of mislabeled batteries and low-resistance coils. Vaping devices typically use lithium-ion batteries, which can be dangerous if not used correctly. Mislabeled batteries can lead to overcharging or overheating, which can cause explosions or fires. Additionally, using low-resistance coils can lead to an increase in the current drawn from the battery, which can cause the battery to overheat and, in some cases, explode.
To avoid this risk, it is crucial to use high-quality batteries that are properly labeled and have been tested for safety. Additionally, it is essential to use coils that are compatible with the battery and vaping device being used. Using coils with too low a resistance can overload the battery, leading to overheating and explosions.
Counterfeit, Low-Quality, And Damaged Batteries
The use of counterfeit, low-quality, and damaged batteries is another significant cause of vaping explosions and fires. Counterfeit batteries are often made with substandard materials and may not have been tested for safety, making them more likely to overheat or explode. Similarly, low-quality batteries may not be manufactured to the same safety standards as higher-quality batteries, making them more susceptible to problems.
To avoid these risks, it is crucial to purchase batteries from reputable sources and avoid using damaged batteries. Always inspect batteries for signs of damage or wear, such as dents or scratches, before using them. Additionally, it is essential to monitor batteries for signs of overheating or other problems, such as bulging or leaking.
Charging Problems And Best Practices
Charging problems are another significant cause of vaping explosions and fires. Charging a battery incorrectly or using an incorrect charger can cause the battery to overheat or explode. Additionally, leaving a battery charging for too long can cause it to overheat, leading to a potential explosion or fire.
To avoid these risks, it is crucial to use the correct charger for the battery being used and to follow the manufacturer’s instructions for charging the battery. Avoid using cheap or unbranded chargers, as these may not be designed for use with vaping batteries and can cause overcharging or overheating. It is also essential to monitor batteries while they are charging and to remove them from the charger once they are fully charged .
Best practices for charging batteries include using a dedicated charging device designed specifically for vaping batteries. These devices often come equipped with safety features, such as overcharge protection, to help prevent accidents. Additionally, it is crucial to avoid leaving batteries charging unattended, especially overnight or for extended periods.
Signs Of The Vape That May Explode:
- Overheating – If a vaping device becomes unusually hot to the touch, it may be a sign that the battery is overheating. Overheating can cause a battery to expand or even explode, so it is essential to stop using the device immediately and seek professional help;
- Bulging – If a battery begins to bulge or swell, it is a clear indication that something is wrong. Bulging can occur when a battery has been damaged or is being overcharged, leading to a potential explosion or fire;
- Leaking – If a battery starts to leak, it may be a sign of internal damage or overheating. Leaking can cause the battery to short-circuit, leading to a potential explosion or fire;
- Strange Odors – If a vaping device emits a strange or unusual odor, it may be a sign that the battery is damaged or overheating. If you notice a strange odor, stop using the device immediately and seek professional help;
- Sudden Shutdowns – If a vaping device shuts down suddenly, it may be a sign that the battery is no longer functioning correctly. This can be a warning sign that the battery is nearing the end of its lifespan and may need to be replaced ;
It is essential to pay attention to these signs and take appropriate action if you notice any of them. If you suspect that your vaping device may be at risk of exploding or catching fire, it is important to seek professional help immediately. Do not attempt to repair or use the device until it has been inspected by a qualified professional.
E-Cigarette Battery Safety
Here are some tips to help ensure your e-cigarette battery is used safely:
- Use High-Quality Batteries: When purchasing a new e-cigarette battery, be sure to choose a reputable brand that uses high-quality materials. Low-quality batteries may be cheaper, but they are also more likely to malfunction and cause accidents;
- Use The Right Charger: Always use the charger that comes with your e-cigarette device. If you need to replace the charger, make sure to choose one that is designed specifically for your device. Avoid using phone or tablet chargers, as these may not be compatible and can cause your battery to overheat or explode;
- Don’t Overcharge: Overcharging your e-cigarette battery can cause it to overheat and potentially explode. Always follow the manufacturer’s instructions regarding charging times and never leave your battery charging unattended;
- Don’t Overuse Your Battery: Using your e-cigarette battery too much can cause it to overheat and potentially explode. Make sure to give your battery a break between uses to prevent overheating;
- Keep Your Battery Clean: Dirt and debris can accumulate on your e-cigarette battery over time, which can cause it to overheat and potentially explode. Wipe down your battery regularly with a clean, dry cloth to keep it free of debris;
- Don’t Carry Loose Batteries: Carrying loose batteries in your pocket or purse can increase the risk of the battery coming into contact with metal objects, which can cause it to short-circuit and potentially explode. Always use a battery case or holder to store your batteries when not in use;
- Check Your Battery Regularly: Regularly inspect your e-cigarette battery for signs of damage, such as bulging or cracking. If you notice any damage, stop using the battery immediately and seek professional help ;
How To Prevent Your E-Cigarette From Exploding:
Things To Do Before You Use Your Vape:
- Read the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings carefully before using your vape device;
- Make sure that you’re using the right type of batteries for your device and that they are properly charged;
- Inspect your device regularly to make sure all parts are in good condition;
- Don’t let any liquid get into the battery compartment or other areas of the device where it could cause a short circuit;
- Keep the device away from extreme temperatures, both hot and cold, as this can interfere with its functioning and cause an explosion;
- Check for signs of damage such as cracks or dents on the casing or battery before each use, as these can increase the risk of an explosion;
Things To Do While You’re Vaping:
- Don’t leave your device unattended while it’s charging, and never charge it overnight or for extended periods of time;
- Don’t overcharge the battery; unplug it when it reaches full capacity;
- Don’t use a damaged charger, cord, or battery with your vape device as this can cause an explosion;
- Avoid using low-quality or counterfeit products that may not meet safety standards and could increase the risk of an explosion;
- Listen to your device – if you hear any unusual noises or notice sparks coming from the device, stop using it immediately and check for signs of damage before continuing to use it again;
Things You Shouldn’t Do:
- Don’t leave your device in direct sunlight or near any heat sources as this can cause it to overheat and explode;
- Don’t use any liquids other than those approved by the manufacturer for your device as some may contain ingredients that react with the battery, causing an explosion;
- Don’t mix different types of batteries in the same device as this can cause a short circuit and lead to an explosion;
- Don’t modify or tamper with your device in any way; doing so could interfere with its functioning and increase the risk of an explosion;
- Don’t carry loose batteries around in your pocket or bag, especially if they are not protected against shock, vibration, and other impacts;
- Don’t try to fix or replace any of the device’s parts unless you know what you are doing, as incorrect repairs can increase the risk of an explosion;
Always Follow Advice About Charging Your Vape Device
Most vape explosions occur while the device is charging. To prevent your device from exploding, make sure to follow all manufacturer instructions regarding charging and battery safety. Never leave your vape plugged in for longer than necessary or charge it overnight.
Additionally, you should avoid using third-party chargers as they may not be compatible with your device and can lead to overheating. If you’re uncertain about how long to charge your specific device, refer to the user manual or contact the manufacturer directly for advice.
When charging a lithium-ion battery (commonly found in vapes), use only dedicated chargers that are intended for that type of battery and ensure that their voltage matches the requirements of the device. It’s also important to use the correct type of charger.
Finally, always keep an eye on your vape while it’s charging. If you notice any signs of overheating or damage, stop using the device immediately and unplug it from the power source. Your safety is paramount, so if there is any doubt about whether your device is safe to use, err on the side of caution and refrain from vaping until a professional has had a chance to inspect it.
Vape explosions can be prevented by following some simple safety tips:
- First, vapers should only use the original or compatible chargers, cables, and adapters that came with their device or battery, and avoid overcharging or leaving the device unattended while charging;
- Second, vapers should inspect their device and battery regularly for any signs of damage, such as cracks, leaks, bulges, or dents, and replace them if needed;
- Third, vapers should store and carry their device and battery in a protective case, away from direct sunlight, heat sources, or metal objects;
- Fourth, vapers should avoid modifying their device or battery, or removing any safety features, such as vents or fuses;
- Fifth, vapers should follow the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings, and seek professional help if they encounter any problems with their device or battery;
Follow Main Vaporizer Charging Rules:
Never Charge Your Vaporizer While You Sleep
One of the essential rules of charging your vaporizer is never to charge it while you sleep. This is because charging your device overnight may lead to overcharging, which can cause the battery to overheat, leading to potential damage or even a fire. To avoid such a scenario, it is always advisable to charge your device during the daytime when you can keep an eye on it. It is also essential to note that most vaporizers are designed to charge within a specific timeframe. Therefore, it is wise to set a timer to remind you to unplug the device once it has reached its maximum charging capacity.
Don’t Charge The Device For Longer Than What The Manufacturer Recommends
The second rule of vaporizer charging is to avoid charging your device for longer than the manufacturer’s recommended duration. This is because overcharging can cause the battery to wear out quickly, leading to a shorter lifespan for your vaporizer. Each vaporizer model comes with specific charging instructions, which you should read and follow carefully to avoid any damage to the device.
Only Use The Original Charger That Came With The Device
The third rule of vaporizer charging is to only use the original charger that came with the device. This is because using a different charger may not provide the correct voltage or amperage required for the battery, which can lead to undercharging or overcharging. Using a charger that is not compatible with your vaporizer can also cause the battery to malfunction, leading to a shortened lifespan for your device. Therefore, always ensure that you use the original charger that came with the vaporizer.
Don’t Charge It From The TV
The fourth rule of vaporizer charging is to avoid charging the device from the TV. This is because the USB port on your TV may not provide the required voltage or amperage for your vaporizer battery. Furthermore, charging your vaporizer from the TV’s USB port may damage the TV’s components or even cause it to malfunction. Therefore, it is always advisable to charge your device using a power outlet or a USB charger that is compatible with your vaporizer.
Store Your Vaporizer Safely & Away From the Sun
The final rule of vaporizer charging is to store your device safely and away from direct sunlight. This is because exposing your vaporizer to direct sunlight may cause the battery to overheat, leading to damage or malfunction. Therefore, always store your vaporizer in a cool and dry place, away from direct sunlight or any other source of heat. It is also essential to keep your device away from water or any other liquid to avoid short-circuiting the battery or causing damage to the device’s components.
What Happens If You Drop A Disposable Vape In Water?
Disposable vapes are convenient and easy to use, but they are not very durable or waterproof. If you accidentally drop a disposable vape in water, you may end up with a broken device that can no longer produce vapor, or worse, a dangerous device that can leak or catch fire.
Water can damage a disposable vape in several ways:
- The most obvious one is that water can get inside the battery compartment and short-circuit the device, rendering it unusable. This can happen even if the device is turned off, as water can still conduct electricity and cause a connection between the positive and negative terminals of the battery. If the battery is damaged by water, it can also leak or catch fire, which can pose a serious risk to your health and safety;
- Another way that water can damage a disposable vape is by mixing it with the e-liquid inside the device. E-liquid is a solution of propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, nicotine, and flavorings, and it is not soluble in water. If water gets inside the device, it can dilute the e-liquid, alter its flavor and nicotine strength, and affect its vapor production. Water can also cause the e-liquid to leak out of the device, which can be messy and wasteful;
If you drop a disposable vape in water, the first thing that you should do is remove it from the water immediately. Unless the device has specific protections to help prevent water ingress, moisture will begin to flood its interior almost right away.
The next thing that you should do is dry the device as much as possible, using a paper towel, a cloth, or a hair dryer. You should also remove the battery from the device, if possible, and dispose of it properly. Do not try to use the device or charge the battery, as this can cause more damage or even an explosion.
You should also check the device for any signs of leakage, corrosion, or deformation, and discard it if you find any. If the device looks intact and dry, you can try to use it, but be aware that it may not work as well as before, or it may stop working altogether .
The best way to prevent dropping a disposable vape in water is to be careful and mindful of where you store and use your device. You should avoid placing your device near water sources, such as sinks, bathtubs, pools, or lakes, and keep it away from rain, snow, or humidity. You should also use a protective case or pouch to store and carry your device and avoid putting it in your pocket, purse, or bag, where it can get wet or crushed by other objects. You should also follow the manufacturer’s instructions and warnings, and avoid modifying or tampering with your device.
- How do you know when your vape is about to explode?
There are a few warning signs that your vape may be at risk of exploding. These include:
- The battery is swelling or bloating;
- The device is overheating or becoming too hot to hold;
- The battery is not holding a charge as well as it used to;
- The device is making strange noises or hissing sounds;
- The device has a burnt or metallic smell;
If you notice any of these signs, it is best to stop using your vape immediately and take it to a professional for inspection or replacement.
- How do I make sure my vape doesn’t explode?
There are a few things you can do to reduce the risk of your vape exploding:
- Only use high-quality batteries and chargers that are compatible with your device;
- Avoid leaving your vape in direct sunlight or in hot places;
- Never charge your vape unattended, especially overnight;
- Do not overcharge your device or leave it on the charger for longer than necessary;
- Do not use your vape while it is charging;
- Follow the manufacturer’s instructions for the maintenance and use of your device ;
- Which vapes are most likely to explode?
Any vaping device that uses a lithium-ion battery has the potential to explode. However, some devices are more prone to explosions than others, especially if they have a poorly designed battery compartment or if the user does not follow proper charging and usage procedures. It is important to do your research before purchasing a vape device and to choose a reputable manufacturer.
- Will a vape explode if it gets too hot?
Yes, if a vape device gets too hot, it can explode. High temperatures can cause the battery to overheat and potentially catch fire or explode. It is important to keep your vape device away from hot areas, such as direct sunlight or a hot car.
- What vapes don’t explode?
No vape device is completely immune to explosions, but some devices are designed with safety features to reduce the risk of explosions. Look for devices with built-in safety features, such as short circuit protection, overcharge protection, and temperature control.
- Can cheap vapes explode?
Cheap vapes are more likely to have poor-quality batteries and chargers, which can increase the risk of explosions. It is important to choose a vape device from a reputable manufacturer and to avoid purchasing knock-off or counterfeit products.
- What is the safest disposable vape?
Disposable vapes are not typically designed with safety features and are intended for short-term use. It is important to choose a disposable vape from a reputable manufacturer and to dispose of the device properly when it is empty.
- Will my vape explode if I drop it in the water?
If your vape device gets wet, it may malfunction and potentially cause a fire or explosion. It is important to keep your vape device away from water and other liquids.
- Can you hit a vape in the shower?
It is not recommended to use a vape device in the shower or any other wet environment. Moisture can damage the device and increase the risk of explosions.
- Can I sue if my vape pen explodes?
If your vape device explodes and causes injury or damage, you may be able to file a lawsuit against the manufacturer or distributor. However, it is important to consult with a lawyer to determine the best course of action.
- Is a puff bar safer than a vape?
Puff bars and other disposable vape devices are not typically designed with safety features and are intended for short-term use. It is important to choose a vape device from a reputable manufacturer and to follow proper usage and maintenance procedures.
- How hot should a vape be?
The ideal temperature for a vape device depends on the type of device and the user’s preferences. However, most devices have a temperature range of around 200-300 degrees Celsius (390-570 degrees Fahrenheit) . It is important to follow the manufacturer’s instructions and not exceed the recommended temperature range to avoid damaging the device or potentially causing a fire or explosion. Additionally, some devices have temperature control features that allow users to set and adjust the temperature to their preference.
Useful Video: How to Prevent your Vape Device from Exploding in your Face
In conclusion, vaping explosions and fires can be caused by a variety of factors, including loose batteries carried in pockets or purses, mislabeled batteries and low-resistance coils, counterfeit, low-quality, and damaged batteries, and charging problems. By understanding the risks and taking the necessary precautions, vapers can reduce their chances of experiencing these dangerous accidents.
Some of the best practices to follow include always storing batteries correctly and avoiding carrying loose batteries, using high-quality and properly labeled batteries and coils, avoiding counterfeit or damaged batteries, and using dedicated charging devices designed specifically for vaping batteries. By following these guidelines, vapers can enjoy their devices safely and without incident, minimizing the risks associated with vaping explosions and fires.