For those just getting started on their vaping journey, the concept of learning how to draw in vapor correctly can be a bit daunting. After all, there is a variety of ways to go about it, as well as different devices and liquids that require varying levels of knowledge and experience.
When you’re first trying out vaping – or transitioning from another device or mod – it’s important (and exciting!) to understand the basics so that your vaping experience can be truly enjoyable.
From knowing which devices work best for beginners to discovering helpful techniques on inhalation pressure and timing – this blog post will explain everything you need to know when it comes to mastering the art of proper vape inhaling! So whether you want some tips for better flavor, bigger clouds, or even want more control over your nicotine intake; following these steps will help guide you along your way.
Table of Contents
What Is A Vape – How Do They Work:
The Power Source
Vapes come in all shapes and sizes, from tiny pen-style vapes to large box mods. Depending on the size, the power source can be a small battery or an external power supply. The voltage of the battery determines how hot the coil will become and how much vapor is produced .
Filling Up Your Tank
Once you’ve chosen your vape device and selected what kind of e-liquid you want to use, it’s time to fill up your tank. Carefully unscrew the top cap and drip a few drops of liquid into each side of the tank until it reaches the recommended level marked in the instructions. Once you’re done filling up your tank, screw it back together tightly but not too tight.
The Vapor Source
The vapor source of your vape will depend on the type of device you’re using. Some vapes use pre-filled tanks that you attach to the device, while others come with refillable cartridges. Other devices require a separate atomizer or coil.
Turning On Your Device
Once you’ve filled up your tank and attached it to your device, it’s time to turn on your device and take a hit from the vapor produced. Most vaping devices have an activation button that needs to be pressed before inhaling – this is what helps heat the coil so it can vaporize the e-liquid. When activated, the battery will send an electrical current through a wire wrapped around a metal coil, which will heat the coil and produce vapor.
How To Vape Properly?
When you’re finished vaping, press the activation button again to turn off your device and store it in a safe place away from direct sunlight or extreme temperatures. This will help preserve battery life as well as keep your device in good condition.
- After each use, make sure to clean the coils, tank, and mouthpiece with warm water and a cloth to rid them of any residue;
- Be sure to also top-up the liquid levels in your tank as needed;
- Finally, make sure that you store your device away from direct sunlight and other heat sources;
Easy Steps For Inhaling A Vape:
Inhaling a Vape:
Once your tank is full and the device is powered on, it’s time to take a hit. Place the mouthpiece in your lips and inhale slowly while pressing the power button. Most devices will have an indicator light or display that will flash when you press the power button. Inhale slowly until you feel a satisfying throat hit, then release the power button and exhale out of your mouth. The vapor should fill up your lungs with each inhale and create visible clouds of vapor with each exhale. Congratulations, you’ve just taken your first vape! Keep practicing until you get comfortable with controlling how much vapor you produce, as this will help you get the most out of your vaping experience.
Hold & Exhale
Once you get the hang of drawing and inhaling, it’s time to learn how to hold your vapor. Holding your vapor allows more of the ingredients in the juice to be absorbed by your lungs before exhaling. Start by slowly inhaling through the mouthpiece until you feel a satisfying throat hit. Once you have a full lungful of vapor, pause for 2-3 seconds and then exhale slowly out of your mouth. Repeat this process until all the vapor has been released from your lungs or until you feel satisfied.
When you are ready to exhale the vapor, simply blow it out of your mouth slowly and steadily until it dissipates into thin air. You may also want to try swirling it around in your mouth or blowing it through your nose before you exhale to get the full flavor of the e-liquid.
Wait & Repeat
Once you’ve taken your first hit, it’s important to wait a while before taking another. This gives the vapor time to fully absorb into your lungs and allows the device to cool down in between hits. Don’t overdo it – if you start to feel lightheaded or dizzy, take a break and drink some water! Once you’re ready for more, repeat the steps above until you get your desired level of satisfaction.
2) Cigar Puffing:
- Hold the cigar between your thumb and your index finger;
- Place the mouthpiece of the cigar at your lips and draw in a slow, steady puff;
- Let the smoke linger in your mouth for a few seconds before you exhale it through your nose or mouth;
- Repeat this process until you’ve finished with the cigar;
3) E-Cigarette Inhaling:
- Take a drag from an e-cigarette device by putting the tip to your lips and inhaling gently without any resistance against your inhalation (similar to how one would sip on a smoothie);
- The vapor should enter easily into your lungs, allowing you to inhale deeper than with a traditional cigarette;
- Exhale the vapor through your mouth or nostrils, whichever is more comfortable;
- Repeat this process as often as needed when vaping with an e-cigarette device;
4) Vape Pen Inhaling:
- Place the tip of the vape pen against your lips and take a long slow drag for about 4 seconds or until you reach your desired amount of vapor intake;
- Hold the vapor in your lungs for at least 3-5 seconds before exhaling it out of your mouth or nostrils, depending on what is most comfortable for you;
- Repeat this process as needed when using a vape pen device to get your desired vapor intake;
5) Vaporizer Inhaling:
- Take a slow and steady draw from the mouthpiece of a vaporizer device until you reach your desired amount of vapor intake;
- Hold the vapor in your lungs for at least 3-5 seconds before exhaling it out through your mouth or nostrils, depending on what is most comfortable for you;
- Repeat this process as needed when using a vaporizer to get the desired amount of vapor into your system;
Popular Methods To Inhale A Vape:
Direct Lung Inhale:
The most popular way to vape is direct lung inhaling (DLI). This method involves taking deep breaths and pulling the vapor directly into your lungs. DLI is great for those who want more intense flavor and bigger clouds of vapor from their device. To do a DLI, you should start by taking a deep breath, then slowly drawing the vapor in through your mouth until it reaches your lungs. Make sure not to hold the vapor for too long, as this can cause coughing or irritation. After a few seconds, you can exhale the vapor slowly and enjoy the flavor!
The other popular way to vape is mouth-to-lung inhaling (MTL). This method involves taking shallow breaths and pulling the vapor into your mouth first before inhaling it into your lungs. MTL is great for those who want a more subdued experience with less intense flavor and smaller clouds of vapor from their device . To do an MTL, you should start by taking a short shallow breath in, then gently draw the vapor in through your mouth until it reaches your tongue. Hold the vapor there for a few seconds before slowly inhaling it into your lungs. After a few seconds, you can exhale the vapor slowly and enjoy the flavor!
What Can You Vape?
Vaping can be done with a variety of substances, including e-liquids, dry herbs, and oil concentrates. Each type of substance has its unique vaping method, which is explained in detail below :
- E-Liquids. The most common form of vaping is with e-liquids. These are flavored liquids that are vaporized when heated by the vape’s atomizer. To inhale an e-liquid, simply fill the tank on your device with the liquid, press the fire button, and draw from the mouthpiece as you would a cigarette. Most vapes will have adjustable settings so you can customize how much vapor is produced for each puff. It’s important to start at a low setting and work your way up until you find the right amount for you;
- Dry Herbs. Some vaporizers are designed specifically for vaping dry herbs. To inhale from these devices, simply fill the chamber with ground herb material, press the fire button and slowly draw from the mouthpiece as you would a cigarette. It’s important to start at a low-temperature setting and work your way up until you find the right amount of heat for your desired effect. For best results, use only high-quality materials in good condition to avoid any potential health risks;
- Oil Concentrates. Vaping oil concentrates requires a specialized device known as an e-nail or dab rig. To inhale from these devices, simply fill the chamber with a small amount of concentrate, press the fire button and slowly draw from the mouthpiece as you would a cigarette. It’s important to start at a low-temperature setting and work your way up until you find the right amount of heat for your desired effect. For best results, use only high-quality materials in good condition to avoid any potential health risks;
Inhaling Cigarette Smoke Vs E-Cigarette Vapor:
Cigarette smoke and e-cigarette vapor have very different temperatures. When you inhale a cigarette, the smoke is hot and can reach up to 900 degrees Fahrenheit. This high temperature creates a harsh sensation in your lungs, throat, and mouth with each puff. On the other hand, when you inhale e-cigarette vapor it is much cooler, usually ranging from 200-400 degrees Fahrenheit . The cooler temperature makes vaping feel smoother than smoking a cigarette and less irritating on your airways for an enjoyable experience.
Particle Size Differences
E-cigarette vapors are generally made of smaller particles than cigarettes. Particles of smoke from cigarettes are large enough that they tend to settle in your lungs that over time can cause irritation and inflammation. On the other hand, e-cigarette vapor particles are so small that they can be completely exhaled without settling in your lungs which reduces your risk of developing any respiratory problems from inhaling.
Flavoring Agents & Other Additives
E-cigarettes contain flavoring agents and other additives that you don’t find in cigarettes. The flavorings used in e-cigarettes have been approved by the FDA for consumption, making them much safer than the thousands of chemicals added to cigarettes to make them taste better. Additionally, some e-cigarette devices even come with built-in temperature control settings so you can customize your vaping experience to produce more or less flavorful vapor depending on your preference.
Nicotine Strength And Harshness
When choosing a vaping device, you should also consider the nicotine strength and harshness of the e-liquid. Nicotine is an addictive substance found in tobacco, so it’s important to select an appropriate strength for your needs. Generally speaking, most beginner vapers choose either high-nicotine or medium-nicotine (also called “regular”) e-liquids. High-strength liquids are good for those who have recently made the switch from smoking cigarettes and want something close to their old habit. Medium-strength liquids are better suited for experienced users or those who haven’t been smoking as long. When it comes to harshness, some e-liquids contain more menthol or other flavor additives which can give them a harsher taste. If you’re new to vaping, it may be best to start with a milder e-liquid and work your way up as you become more accustomed to the flavor and feel.
How Many Times A Day Should I Vape?
Whatever vaping style works best for you, make sure to keep track of how often you’re taking puffs so that you don’t overdo it and cause any harm to yourself. Additionally, be mindful of when and where you vape as certain places may not allow the use of vapes and e-cigarettes.
- How often should I vape?
Some people vape only occasionally, while others vape throughout the day. Some people vape to quit smoking, while others vape for pleasure or relaxation. The frequency of your vaping may also depend on the nicotine level and flavor of your liquid, the power and performance of your device, and the social and environmental factors around you. However, you should be mindful of the potential health risks and side effects of vaping, and avoid vaping too much or too often.
- How long should I wait between puffs of vape:
- Wait at least 5 seconds between puffs, to allow the coil to cool down and the liquid to replenish;
- Take small and gentle puffs, to avoid dry hits and burnt coils;
- Avoid chain vaping, which means taking multiple puffs in a row without a break. Chain vaping can increase the risk of dehydration, nicotine overdose, and device malfunction;
- How many puffs a day can you vape?
Monitor your nicotine intake, and adjust your liquid and device accordingly. The amount of nicotine you get from each puff depends on the nicotine level of your liquid, the power and performance of your device, and the way you inhale. You can use online calculators or apps to estimate your nicotine intake based on these factors, and compare it to the amount you would get from smoking cigarettes. The recommended daily limit for nicotine is 20 mg, but this is a general recommendation .
- Can you vape too much?
Yes, you can vape too much, and this can have negative consequences for your health and well-being.
Some of the signs and symptoms of vaping too much are:
- Nicotine poisoning can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, and irregular heartbeat. This can happen if you vape too much nicotine, or if you accidentally ingest or spill liquid on your skin or eyes;
- Dehydration can result in dry mouth, sore throat, coughing, and fatigue. This can happen if you vape too much liquid, or if you don’t drink enough water while vaping;
- Device malfunction can result in leaks, clogs, explosions, or fires. This can happen if you vape too much power, or if you don’t maintain and clean your device properly;
- Do you directly inhale vape?
This depends on the method of inhaling you choose mouth-to-lung (MTL) or direct-to-lung (DTL). MTL means you draw the vapor into your mouth and then inhale it into your lungs, while DTL means you inhale the vapor directly into your lungs. The method you choose depends on your device, liquid, and personal preference.
- Do you inhale or swallow vape?
You inhale vape, not swallow it. Swallowing to vape can cause irritation, inflammation, or infection in your mouth, throat, or stomach. You should also avoid swallowing any liquid, as it can be toxic if ingested.
- Can you inhale vape without exhaling?
No, you cannot inhale vape without exhaling. Exhaling is a natural and necessary part of breathing, and it helps to remove waste products and toxins from your body. If you try to inhale vape without exhaling, you will likely experience discomfort, pain, or suffocation.
- Is 2% nicotine a lot in a vape?
2% nicotine is equivalent to 20 mg of nicotine per ml of liquid, which is considered a high nicotine level . This level is suitable for heavy smokers who want to quit, or for low-power devices that produce less vapor. However, this level may be too much for light or non-smokers, or for high-power devices that produce more vapor.
- Can you hold the vape in your mouth?
You can hold the vape in your mouth for a short time, but you should not do it for too long or too often. Holding a vape in your mouth can cause irritation, dryness, or infection in your mouth, teeth, or gums. It can also reduce the flavor and satisfaction of vaping, as you are not inhaling the vapor into your lungs. You should exhale the vapor as soon as possible, and rinse your mouth with water after vaping.
Holding a vape in your mouth can cause irritation, dryness, or infection in your mouth, teeth, or gums. It can also reduce the flavor and satisfaction of vaping, as you are not inhaling the vapor into your lungs. You should exhale the vapor as soon as possible, and rinse your mouth with water after vaping.
- How many puffs of a vape is equal to a cigarette:
- 10 puffs on your vape are about the same as 10 puffs on your cigarette, assuming they are both of similar nicotine strength and quality;
- 10 cigarettes are around 100 puffs, which is equivalent to about 1 ml of vape liquid, assuming your device produces an average amount of vapor;
- 1 pack of cigarettes (20 cigarettes) is equivalent to about 2 ml of vape liquid, or about 200 puffs;
- 1 cigarette has around 8 mg of nicotine, which is equivalent to about 0.4 ml of 20 mg/ml vape liquid, or about 4 puffs ;
These are only rough estimates, and they may vary depending on your habits and preferences. You should monitor your puff count and nicotine intake, and adjust your liquid and device accordingly. You should also avoid exceeding the recommended daily limit of 20 mg of nicotine, as it may cause nicotine poisoning, which can result in nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, and irregular heartbeat.
- Can you lick vape juice?
You can lick a small amount of vape juice, but it is not recommended, as it may have some negative effects:
- Vape juice is not meant to be ingested orally, but to be inhaled as vapor. The flavor and quality of the vape juice may be altered or diminished by licking it;
- Vape juice contains nicotine, which can be absorbed through the skin and mucous membranes. Licking vape juice may expose you to nicotine, which can cause addiction, dependence, and withdrawal symptoms. Nicotine can also have harmful effects on your heart, blood pressure, and brain;
- Vape juice may also contain other chemicals, such as propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavorings, and additives, which may not be safe to consume. Some of these chemicals may cause irritation, inflammation, or allergic reactions in your mouth, throat, or stomach. Some of them may also be toxic or carcinogenic, especially when heated or inhaled ;
- Licking vape juice may also increase the risk of contamination or infection, as you may introduce bacteria, viruses, or fungi into your mouth or the vape juice bottle. This may lead to oral or respiratory infections, or spoil the vape juice. Therefore, it is better to avoid licking vape juice and to use it only as intended, by vaping it with a suitable device. If you accidentally lick or swallow vape juice, you should rinse your mouth with water, and seek medical attention if you experience any symptoms of nicotine poisoning, such as nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, or irregular heartbeat;
- Is nicotine-free vape safe?
Vaping without nicotine is safer than vaping with nicotine, but it is not completely safe:
- Vaping without nicotine eliminates the risk of addiction, dependence, and withdrawal symptoms, which are associated with nicotine use;
- Nicotine can also have harmful effects on your heart, blood pressure, and brain;
However, vaping without nicotine still exposes you to other chemicals, such as propylene glycol, vegetable glycerin, flavorings, and additives, which may not be safe to inhale. Some of these chemicals may cause irritation, inflammation, or allergic reactions in your lungs, mouth, or throat. Some of them may also be toxic or carcinogenic, especially when heated or inhaled.
Vaping without nicotine also produces aerosols, which are tiny particles that can damage your cells and harm your immune system. Aerosols can also contain metals, such as lead, nickel, and chromium, which can accumulate in your body and cause health problems. Aerosols can also affect the air quality and the health of others around you, especially children and people with respiratory conditions .
Vaping without nicotine may also increase the risk of contamination or infection, as you may introduce bacteria, viruses, or fungi into your device or liquid. This may lead to oral or respiratory infections, or spoil the liquid.
Therefore, vaping without nicotine is not risk-free, and it may still have some negative effects on your health and the environment. The long-term safety of vaping, regardless of nicotine presence, requires more research. If you want to quit smoking, you should consult your doctor for other options, such as nicotine replacement therapy, medication, or counseling.
- Is flavored vape harmful?
According to several studies, flavored vape juice may be harmful to your health in various ways. Some of the possible risks include:
- Damaging your blood vessels and heart;
- Exposing you to toxic chemicals and byproducts;
- Affects your immune system and lung function;
- Does vaping make you lose weight?
There is some evidence that vaping may help with weight loss, but it is not a safe or effective method.
Some of the reasons why vaping may affect weight are:
- Vaping contains nicotine, which is an addictive substance that can suppress appetite and increase metabolism;
- Vaping can replace bad eating habits or cravings for sweets with flavored vapor;
- Vaping can be a psychological strategy to cope with stress or boredom, which may trigger overeating ;
However, vaping also comes with many health risks, such as:
- Damaging your lungs, heart, blood vessels, and immune system;
- Exposing you to toxic chemicals and byproducts;
- Increasing your risk of nicotine addiction and dependence;
- Causing withdrawal symptoms if you stop vaping;
- Interfering with your sense of taste and smell;
- Can your lungs collapse on a vape?
A lung can collapse can happen while using a vape, but it is very rare. A collapsed lung, also known as a pneumothorax, occurs when air leaks into the space between the lung and chest wall, causing the lung to collapse. Vaping does not directly cause pneumothorax, but it can contribute to the development of the condition in certain individuals.
- What is heavy vaping?
Heavy vaping refers to the frequent and prolonged use of electronic cigarettes, also known as e-cigarettes or vapes . The term is subjective and can vary depending on the individual and the context, but generally, heavy vaping is characterized by using e-cigarettes multiple times per day and/or for extended periods.
Heavy vaping has been associated with a range of health risks, including lung injury, cardiovascular disease, and nicotine addiction. The long-term effects of heavy vaping are still being studied, but evidence suggests that it may have negative impacts on lung health and overall well-being. If you are a heavy vaper or are concerned about your vaping habits, it is important to talk to a healthcare provider about ways to reduce your risk of harm.
Useful Video: 6 Things to Expect When You Start Vaping
Now that you know the basics of how to properly inhale vapors, all that’s left to do is practice and experiment with different devices and liquids until you find what works best for you. Don’t be afraid to try new things; after all, vaping is meant to be an enjoyable experience! With enough patience and practice, soon enough you’ll be able to master both direct lung and mouth-to-lung inhales and get the most out of your vaping device. Happy vaping!